Friday, March 7, 2008

On subtle nuances and poorly worded doctrine

In a recent post someone cited a paragraph from the new pamplet from the church related to same gender attraction. The writer later said he felt it was poorly worded.

"[A]void any influence that can harm your spirituality. One of these adverse influences is obsession with or concentration on same-gender thoughts and feelings. It is not helpful to flaunt homosexual tendencies or make them the subject of unnecessary observation or discussion. It is better to choose as friends those who do not publicly display their homosexual feelings. The careful selection of friends and mentors who lead constructive, righteous lives is one of the most important steps to being productive and virtuous. Association with those of the same gender is natural and desirable, so long as you set wise boundaries to avoid improper and unhealthy emotional dependency, which may eventually result in physical and sexual intimacy. There is moral risk in having so close a relationship with one friend of the same gender that it may lead to vices the Lord has condemned. Our most important relationships are with our own families because our ties to them can be eternal."

I know that some may feel this was poorly written. I couldn't disagree with this more. I think it says what it needs to say period. It couldn't be any more blunt and to the point. I think the more we spend time reading the words and spending time around people who would encourage us to "fall away" to "be true to ourselves" the more and more we stand at risk at doing just that. I know in his heart these people are trying
to be good friends and trying to help us. But they are wrong. And yes I have many dear friends who consider themselves gay. Who think its great that I stay in the church. Because its "for me." But its not "for them." But I will also admit to a certain degree of sadness because if what I or any faithful member of the church believes "it's for all of us." I can only have faith and love them and not give up on them. But in the end unless they don't choose to change they are wrong and I hope in the final judgment God doesn't look to me and say, "why didn't you warn them?"

As for this this pamplet. It was approved by the First Presidency. Had it needed to be rewritten I think the Prophet would have seen to it.

This is one of the most pressing issues in the Church today. I also think this is an issue that weighs deeply on them. I also know this is an issue that they know they are being scrutinized over rather justly or unjustly. You only need to read some of the blogs that are only a link away on the Northern Lights Blog to get a healthy dose of this sort of loyal opposition.

I know our struggles cause them great pain and anguish. I also know that they know that any thing they say will be carefully scrutinized both within and outside the church by both the faithful, those looking for loop holes and those looking for further truth to add to their arsenal against the church. I would say that every comma and every period in this booklet was very carefully worded so as not to be taken anyway other then the intended meaning.

That's why I bristle with the references to "moho's" and "coming out" again I know that language and intent can be nuanced. But I don't think this was Elder Oaks intent, I do think he meant that we aren't to see ourselves as such less we start to think we are doomed to this with no hope.

I think that Satan is a great deceiver. He is able to mask sin under civil rights. I think he even is able to use God's greatest gift of agency to promote it and Christ's own words not to judge as a means to protect it. I think he is able to use some of our smartest men to then stand up and fight for the rights to condone it and accept it and villianize anyone who would stand against it.

No I don't condemn those who may think what I'm saying is wrong. They have their agency to think or believe whatever they want. I'm only going by what I believe and feel. The thing I think we need to remember is that Satan acts with full knowledge. We are react with limited knowledge and opinions fueled by our desires, logic and experiences. Satan can never be forgive for his rebellion because he knew exactly what he was doing. The thing is he already knows he's going to lose and if he can get us to fall even a little bit then we are just a sad consolation prize.

I think we are the ones who need to decide if we are going to have the faith to follow the council given.

No comments: